Thursday, June 10, 2010

E-Book Review - Help Lord, I’m Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling My High Schooler!

This is one of the two reviews I wrote for The Old Schoolhouse Homeschool Crew tryouts...

     When the Lord first placed homeschooling on my heart, I was pretty nervous. Although I knew I would follow His direction, I still had many worries and concerns flooding my mind. I though for sure I must have misunderstood Him. Homeschool, are you kidding me I can’t do that. Where do I start? What curriculum do I choose? Will I be doing my daughters a disservice by pulling them out of pubic school? How do I teach them things I have forgotten? What will my family and friends think? These thoughts consumed me. However, I trusted God; knowing His plan for our lives is far greater than mine, and I followed His directions. We are currently in our third year of homeschooling; my oldest is completing 6th grade, while my youngest is completing 4th grade. As we got into the swing of things and my nervousness subsided.

Well, a few months ago I came to the realization that high school is right around the corner for my oldest daughter and my need to begin preparing is now. This has reignited all those crazy time consuming thoughts with incredible force. I’ve been in constant prayer for direction, guidance, and wisdom.  That’s when I stumbled on the E-book “Help Lord, I’m Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling My High Schooler!" by Homeschooling with Heart – The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. This book is truly nothing short of an answer to my prayers. Page after page is jam-packed with amazing testimonies from mothers who have successfully homeschooled their high school students and walked out unscathed. This is one E-book you definitely need on hand. Click here here and purchase it for only $12.45.

The mothers wrote about such things as the importance of focusing on our children’s strengths rather than their weaknesses. Remember God created us all very unique from one another. We all learn differently, have different interests, and skill levels. Therefore, we need to embraces the positive and the weaknesses will strengthen. About how to organize your student’s studies, how to alleviate some of the stresses associated with homeschooling by giving tips on how to organize your day so everyone knows what is expected of them, and so much more.

I love when I’m reading something and that little light in my mind glows creating a ‘ah ha’ moment. Well, one mother’s tip did just that for me. She wrote about the importance of including your student in their curriculum choices. As adult we like having many choices about things in our lives, and our children are no different. By allowing them to play an active role in what curriculum they will use, may energize your children into wanting to learn more.

While a few mothers wrote about specific curriculum that worked for them, I had hoped to see a bit more. There are so many curricula available to the homeschool community the choices can be very overwhelming. I always find it incredibly helpful and enjoyable to hear from others about what has and hasn’t worked for them. However, Help Lord, I’m Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling My High Schooler!” has a vast amount of great information, useful tips, resources, scripture, and encouraging words to help parents just like you and me successfully homeschool our high school students. At the end of the E-book there’s a fantastic list of resources given by the authors, which include books, magazines, CDs, websites, a few curriculum choices, as well as scripture. A couple of the authors have also provided their email addresses and/or their blog addresses.

I’ve taken a lot of awesome insight away from this E-book, but one of the most important lessons I’ve learned is to always trust that God is ultimately in control and as long as we pray, trust, and obey, He will work everything out as He sees fit. He created our children and he wants the very best for each and every one of them. I no longer have the incredible fear of homeschooling through high school as I did before reading this E-book.  Reading so many testimonies of mothers just like me has helped me to see it’s not as scary as my mind once made it.

So, if you have a future high school student or you are currently homeschooling your high school student, go to The Old Schoolhouse Magazine and for $12.45 purchase "Help Lord, I’m Getting Ready to Start Homeschooling My High Schooler!"  It’s an amazing E-book full of encouragement and guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...